The types of schools and their level of education
The so-called “Berufliche Oberschule Bayern” (hereinafter referred to as “Vocational Secondary School Bavaria”) comprises the two types of school called “Fachoberschule” (hereinafter referred to as “FOS”) and “Berufsoberschule” (hereinafter referred to as “BOS”).
It is based on a school-leaving qualification which can be compared to the English O level or can be called “secondary school level certificate”.
The difference between “FOS” and “BOS” is simple:
Pupils who have no work experience or apprenticeship completed so far, attend FOS for
- two years to achieve “Fachhochschulreife” or
- three years to achieve “Fachgebundene Hochschulreife” or “Allgemeine Hochschulreife”.
Those who do have work experience or completed an apprenticeship before, attend BOS for
- one year to achieve “Fachhochschulreife” or
- two years to achieve “Fachgebundene Hochschulreife” or “Allgemeine Hochschulreife”.
The Vocational Secondary School Bavaria equips pupils with knowledge in general education, specialised theoretical and practical knowledge and also includes work experience.
Both types of school prepare their students for university. The following qualifications can be acquired:
- “Fachhochschulreife” → admission qualification for universities of applied sciences
- “Fachgebundene Hochschulreife” → admission qualification for universities of applied sciences and universities (limited choice of field of study)
- “Allgemeine Hochschulreife” → admission qualification for universities of applied sciences and universities (no limits due to the verification of necessary knowledge in two foreign languages)
Anyone interested should have a satisfactory knowledge of German, English and mathematics, stamina, ability to work in a team and enjoy learning.
The illustration below gives an overview of the possible qualifications that FOS and BOS provide.
Let us introduce our school to you: Watch our promotion video
Watch our promotion video get an impression of the atmosphere at the Maximilian-Kolbe-School!